Are non-U.S. Citizens treated differently in criminal cases?

No, non-U.S. Citizens should not be treated differently in criminal cases. The criminal justice system must treat any non-U.S. citizen the same as a U.S. citizen when they are charged with a crime. You have the right to an attorney in your criminal case, and you have the right to all the same constitutional protections that a U.S. citizen has. Your immigration status should not have an effect in your charges, the prosecutor’s decision-making, or the judge’s determinations.

However, the consequences of a criminal conviction if you are a non-U.S. citizen are different, and can be severe for the rest of your life. Not only do you face the risk of going to jail or having a criminal record that could affect getting jobs in the future, the criminal case could also create a risk of deportation or prevent you from becoming a resident or U.S. citizen in the future.

As a non-U.S. citizen, it is extremely important that YOU and YOUR ATTORNEY treat your open criminal case differently and with careful attention. Under U.S. Supreme Court, you have the right to receive proper advice on the immigration consequences of a criminal conviction. An expert CrImmigration (Criminal & Immigration) Team can help you avoid any mistake, from the beginning till the end. They will be able to protect you on both the immigration consequences and defend you in the criminal case.

Reach out for Consultation with Friendly & Professional Team

First Name(Required)
Last Name(Required)
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
1100 Spring St NW #400, Atlanta, GA 30309, US

Our Criminal Defense and Immigration Lawyers Location in Atlanta, GA

Powered by Law Firm Marketing Pros

Copyright © 2024. The Law Offices of STERN Law, PLLC. All Right Reserved.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.
Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.