I’m a non-U.S. citizen and I’ve been arrested. Can I just pay the bond or the fine to get out of jail and go home?

Slow down, and don’t rush to pay a bond or fine in a criminal case. If you are a non-U.S. citizen and you’re not present in the U.S. legally or you have some other sort of criminal history that could make you deportable, there is a big risk that once you leave jail, whether it’s a bond or a conviction, you could end up in immigration custody for deportation. Even if a very low bond amount is granted, you could face immediate ICE detention for potential deportation charges if you’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

It’s really hard to fight a deportation case with a pending criminal case. In many cases, an experienced CrImmigration lawyer would advise you not to pay your bond especially until there is an opportunity for us to take a look at your situation and do a really thorough assessment about what the risk is going to be if you go into immigration custody. Also it’s important to know that if you just pay a ‘fine’, that actually means you are pleading guilty to something.

Be careful before you make a decision about what to do in your criminal case, whether it’s paying a bond or otherwise, until you talk to an experienced CrImmigration attorney. Deportation can be proactively prevented if a CrImmigration Lawyer is involved from the start of your criminal case. Don’t make any quick decisions to pay your bond without experienced legal advice!

Reach out for Consultation with Friendly & Professional Team

First Name(Required)
Last Name(Required)
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us
We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.
1100 Spring St NW #400, Atlanta, GA 30309, US

Our Criminal Defense and Immigration Lawyers Location in Atlanta, GA

Powered by Law Firm Marketing Pros

Copyright © 2024. The Law Offices of STERN Law, PLLC. All Right Reserved.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.
Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.